Thank you for returning the green form that lets us know if your child will be coming back to school after the holiday program or going with you. Those forms are due back no later than this Friday, December 15.
Our academic focus for the week:
Math: continue to explore multiplication and division (review all multiples, 1s-10s and multiples of ten); review for unit assessment; practice perseverance and explaining our mathematical thinking
English Language Arts: comprehension : sequence of events, text and graphic features; writing: friendly letters; grammar: plural nouns
Science: finish exploration of weather and climate
Word of the Week: belong
This week we will be learning to write computer code during our classroom and school-wide Hour of Code activity. See the links section of our classroom website for more information and coding activities.
Our academic focus for the week:
Math: continue to explore multiplication and division (multiplying with multiples of 10); practice computer coding; practice perseverance and explaining our mathematical thinking
English Language Arts: comprehension : sequence of events, text and graphic features; writing: continue with opinion pieces; grammar: plural nouns
Science: continue exploration of weather and climate; test engineering design project houses
Word of the Week:
Rossiter Ski Day was a success! The students did a great job with their lessons, manners and improved skills. Many had never been to a ski hill before, so the experience will certainly be remembered for a long time. Thanks goes out to the 5th grade teachers for all of the help and work they did to get the students set up with passes and rental equipment. They are truly amazing ladies! Also, thank you to all of the parents who came up to assist with the day. Your presence was a big help.
Mrs. Thisselle’s Weekly Kindernews
November 9th – November 13th
Things to Remember:
****Parent Teacher conferences Wed. Nov. 11th-Thurs. Nov. 12th- Please be on time!
***NO SCHOOL Wed. Nov. 25th- Fri. Nov. 27th for Thanksgiving!
***Please remind your child to dress appropriately for the weather! We go to recess unless it is below 0 (with wind chill). Please write your child’s name in coats, snowpants, hats, gloves, boots etc.
-write my 1st name beginning with a capital letter and the rest lowercase.
-Essential Question: Why do different animals move in different ways?
-High Frequency/Sight Words- I, like, the, and, see, we, a**
-Phonics: letter/sound Cc /k/
-Phonological Awareness: Blend onset and rime; segment onset and rime
-Fluency- read with expression
-Vocabulary strategies- Classify and categorize; action words
-Grammar- Sensory Words
-Speaking- expressing thoughts and ideas clearly. Use words and phrases acquired through conversations, reading, and responding to texts.
-Comprehension Skills- Details; Compare/Contrast; Visualize
-Writing- informative writing: Focus Trait- word choice
Math/Calendar- I can…..
-Calendar Time- months, days of the week, number of days in school, counting, weather
– count objects in a group correctly regardless of arrangement or order.
-decompose (break apart) numbers to 10 using objects and drawings.
-add and subtract numbers within 10 using objects and drawings
– say “how many” are in a group after counting all the objects.
-show the correct number of objects when I am told a number up to 20.
-count to 100/ count to 100 by tens.
-count objects and write the correct numeral 0-20
-explain subtraction/addition and use them to solve story problems through acting out, drawings, or fingers
-identify/describe/draw 2 dimensional shapes (circle, rectangle, triangle, square, hexagon)
Questions to ask student/ Things to work on:
-Have your child search for the letter Cc and find objects that begin with /k/.
-Have your child find, read, write high frequency words the, I, like, and, see, we, a**
-Search for and draw shapes! We have learned triangle, rectangle, circle, hexagon, and square. Talk about how many sides, how many corners, equal sides etc.
***Every Friday (time permitting) will be Show and Tell! Students may bring 1 item from home. Needs to be able to fit into backpack.
November 6th, 2015
Maternity Leave for Mrs. Thisselle
Hello Kindergarten families!
I am planning to be on maternity leave beginning in January 2016. Katie O’Leary will be covering my maternity leave for me (Ms. O’Leary).
Katie is a certified elementary education teacher and secondary education in biology and chemistry. She will be graduating from Carroll College this December. Katie did part of her student teaching here at Rossiter in 3rd grade this past fall. She grew up in Santa Clara, CA.
I am very excited to have Ms. O’Leary in the classroom while I am absent! She will continue on with our academic skills, and ensure that our students are being taken care of socially and emotionally. Katie will also continue to communicate with you through emails and phone calls. If you ever have any concerns or questions, you can also contact her through email (I will get that to you as soon as I know it), by phone (324-1505), or stop by the classroom.
I am planning to return to school sometime in April and finish out the school year with the class. If you have any questions or concerns about my maternity leave, please contact me!
Sincerely, Mrs. Thisselle
Rossiter Library News
First Quarter 2015– 2016
Laura Trapp, Librarian
Phone number 324-1519
We’ve been busy in the Library!
● Kindergarten and First Grade students have been demonstrating Responsible Library Expectations. We learned about taking good care of our books from stories about Marion and D.W.
● To extend their learning about fire safety, Kindergartners listened to Dot the Fire Dog by Lisa Desimini and Fire Trucks by Maria Schmidt. First Graders talked about Sparky’s Top 10 Fire Safety Tips during the books Stop, Drop and Roll, by Margery Cuyler and Staying Safe around Fire by Lucia Raatma.
● In Second Grade, The Shelf Elf helped us start off the year by reviewing book care tips. Students have also learned how to start the school laptops, log in to their account, and the turn off the computer correctly.
● Second Graders located the reference section in the library and then used dictionaries to put a list of words in alphabetical order.
● Third Graders have been practicing logging into the Library Catalog with their ID number. We have tried subject and keyword searches to find books in their Accelerated Reader Level and locate it on the bookshelf. We have been monitoring our Accelerated Reader Goals using Home Connect (which you can access from home!) Remember, our library catalog can be accessed from home at hsd1.follettdestiny.com! Look for the Accelerated Reader Home Connect link under Helpful Links.
● Third, Fourth and Fifth grade students have learned the library Technology Use Agreement! Ask them about what they think the most important rule to remember is when using school computers.
● Fourth and fifth grade has been using the library catalog to research Young Reader’s Choice Award Nomineesand have been written in the United States or Canada. When . YRCA books must have been published within the last 3 years students in 4th – 6th grade in Montana and a few select other states have read 2 of the nominated books, they may then vote for which one they like the most. Be sure to ask them which one they are most interested in reading!
Come to the Book Fair! The Book Fair is happening November 1013 in the library. We are open before and after school and late on Wednesday and Thursday evenings. Books and other items for all ages will be available for sale. The proceeds from the Book Fair will go to purchase more books for our library. Thank you for your support!
A note from Mrs. Trapp:
I have been experiencing some health challenges which have caused me to miss several weeks of school. I will continue to attend appointments and will need time for rest and recuperation at times in the next few months. We are fortunate to have Ms. Maree Toscano as our guest teacher in my absence and we will coordinate our teaching efforts to continue to provide the best possible learning experiences for your children in the library. Thank you for your understanding and support!
Our library catalog can be accessed at hsd1.follettdestiny.com. Click on Rossiter Elementary School. To log in to your child’s account, the user name is their ID number and the password is student.
A blue confirmation slip for Parent/Teacher conferences has gone home with your child! It will list the day and time for your conference. Please sign and return to me ASAP! See you at conferences!