Rossiter Library News
First Quarter 2015– 2016
Laura Trapp, Librarian
Phone number 324-1519
We’ve been busy in the Library!
● Kindergarten and First Grade students have been demonstrating Responsible Library Expectations. We learned about taking good care of our books from stories about Marion and D.W.
● To extend their learning about fire safety, Kindergartners listened to Dot the Fire Dog by Lisa Desimini and Fire Trucks by Maria Schmidt. First Graders talked about Sparky’s Top 10 Fire Safety Tips during the books Stop, Drop and Roll, by Margery Cuyler and Staying Safe around Fire by Lucia Raatma.
● In Second Grade, The Shelf Elf helped us start off the year by reviewing book care tips. Students have also learned how to start the school laptops, log in to their account, and the turn off the computer correctly.
● Second Graders located the reference section in the library and then used dictionaries to put a list of words in alphabetical order.
● Third Graders have been practicing logging into the Library Catalog with their ID number. We have tried subject and keyword searches to find books in their Accelerated Reader Level and locate it on the bookshelf. We have been monitoring our Accelerated Reader Goals using Home Connect (which you can access from home!) Remember, our library catalog can be accessed from home at hsd1.follettdestiny.com! Look for the Accelerated Reader Home Connect link under Helpful Links.
● Third, Fourth and Fifth grade students have learned the library Technology Use Agreement! Ask them about what they think the most important rule to remember is when using school computers.
● Fourth and fifth grade has been using the library catalog to research Young Reader’s Choice Award Nomineesand have been written in the United States or Canada. When . YRCA books must have been published within the last 3 years students in 4th – 6th grade in Montana and a few select other states have read 2 of the nominated books, they may then vote for which one they like the most. Be sure to ask them which one they are most interested in reading!
Come to the Book Fair! The Book Fair is happening November 1013 in the library. We are open before and after school and late on Wednesday and Thursday evenings. Books and other items for all ages will be available for sale. The proceeds from the Book Fair will go to purchase more books for our library. Thank you for your support!
A note from Mrs. Trapp:
I have been experiencing some health challenges which have caused me to miss several weeks of school. I will continue to attend appointments and will need time for rest and recuperation at times in the next few months. We are fortunate to have Ms. Maree Toscano as our guest teacher in my absence and we will coordinate our teaching efforts to continue to provide the best possible learning experiences for your children in the library. Thank you for your understanding and support!
Our library catalog can be accessed at hsd1.follettdestiny.com. Click on Rossiter Elementary School. To log in to your child’s account, the user name is their ID number and the password is student.